11 April 2010

Weekend Fun and Food

I had a great weekend!  It was full of fun times, good food and great friends.

We kicked off the weekend with "patio time" at a neighbor's house on Friday afternoon.  I had a pitcher of Sangria left over from Dinner Divas so I brought it along.  Now this wasn't just any Sangria, this was The Pioneer Woman's recipe ... with a twist.  

Instead of using brandy like the recipe calls for, I substituted Tuaca.  Tuaca is an Italian liqueur from Livorno, in Northern Italy and is to die for.  I was only recently introduced to it and am hooked! 

The food we had out on the patio was delicious.  Kerry is such a great cook and made some absolutely phenomenal quesadillas - sweet and spicy.  


The theme of the evening was sweet and spicy, in fact.  Raspberry Chipotle sauce on cream cheese as well as a Pineapple Habanero Chutney on some cream cheese.  I also brought a jar of Pineapple Sweet Fire from Berrytown Produce (in Hammond, Lousiana).  It's a combo of pineapple chunks, bread & butter pickles and jalapenos.  Yum. 

Later on in the evening they fired up the chiminea and we roasted Peeps

Quote of the night, "It's like creme brulee on a stick"

Now, I normally hate Peeps and it took quite a bit of convincing on the part of others to get me to it, but holy-moly they are delicious!!!  They get this carmelized crust and are so ooey-gooey inside.  Next time I find Peeps at the store, I'm stocking up.

Last week on Facebook I got a recipe for homemade creme fraiche from one of the best cooks I know.  This woman is amazing in her kitchen... and in her art studio.  She is one incredibly talented woman who I admire very much.  The recipe is so simple, but so delicious. 

I put the ingredients together before we proctored the ACT on Saturday morning and by the time I woke up on Sunday morning it was completely ready. 

Only two ingredients.  Obviously not low fat.

Mix them up and let them hang out.  Couldn't be easier.

We had the creme fraiche for dessert this evening.  It was all I hoped it would be and more.  I served it atop fresh strawberries in a Balsamic & Red Wine reduction. 

Heavenly.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Oh geez. I don't think I could go *there* with the Peeps. Can't stand the things!! The creme fraiche though? Yep, I could go *there*. Looks so yummy!

MamaNoFun said...

Ella, I love how you make food so entertaining. You forgot to give Rob credit for his manly role of "breaking sticks".... essential element for firing up the chiminea!