21 June 2010

Monday Morning Muffins

Two dear friends are heading to China for a 2 week visit and needed a ride to the airport.  Their flight left at 6 am. 

Which meant they needed to be at the airport no later than 4 am. 


Which meant they needed to leave their house no later than 3 am. 


Which meant I needed to be up and out of the house by 2:35 am.  I was so nervous about not hearing my alarm that I didn't really sleep much.  I think I got a 45 minute nap in some time between 11 pm and 2:15 am. 

When I finally made it back home I was absolutely exhausted, hence the slightly blurry picture. 


Pretty cool how I got the camera to mimic my vision, huh?

Needless to say it was time to actually get some sleep.  I crashed sometime around 5am and slept until 9am when the monsters my sweet babies decided that the best bird watching could be done from where I was sleeping.  And bird watching, mind you, involves talking and chattering to the birds on the other side of the window pane. 

If I was going to have to be awake I might as well make it enjoyable.  So after a quick read of the paper I began working on breakfast.

I have no idea on what blog I found this recipe. For whatever reason I did not bookmark the site. Instead I wrote it down on paper. How 'old-school' of me, right???

Homemade Blueberry Muffins
This is not my recipe, I just cannot remember who should get the credit.

Preheat the oven to 350F.
 
Toss 1 cup of blueberries with 1/4 c flour and set aside.
 

In a separate bowl whisk together 1 3/4 c flour, 4 t baking powder and 1/2 t salt.  Set aside.
 
Measure 3/4 c milk.  Set aside.
 
Cream 4 T butter with 1/2 c sugar 'til fluffy.  Add in 1 egg.  Combine thoroughly.
 
Add in the flour mix and milk, alternately, until the batter is smooth. 
 

Gently fold in the blueberries. 
 
Divide the batter amongst 12 greased or lined muffin cups and bake for 15 - 20 minutes.  Use the 'toothpick test' to check for doneness.


These were every bit as good as I hoped they would be.  They were different (and much better) than the box mixes.  Very similar in flavor to a strawberry shortcake, but with blueberries. 


All these needed to achieve perfection was a little pat of butter. 


The only changes I would (maybe) make would be to fold in the zest of 1 lemon, along with the blueberries, to the batter and/or brushing the muffins with melted butter and then sprinkling them with a little sugar right when they come out of the oven. 

No comments: