17 May 2010

Stinky, Salty Goodness

I'm reading a fascinating book right now - Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky.


If you love history, geography and/or food it is a 'must read'.

It is Culinary Geography at its finest and I have truly fallen in love... with salt.  sigh

Now don't get me wrong, I don't salt the heck out of my food the way R and my dear friend K do, but I have developed a certain respect and sense of awe regarding this compound and its million and one uses. 

And because I know R loves salty foods, tonight's dinner was just for him...



Mediterranean Chicken with Couscous

Super simple:

I took some black and green olives, capers, garlic and feta cheese, chopped it all up and stirred in a little olive oil. 

After pounding a few chicken breasts until they were about 1/4 inch thick, I seasoned them, spread a little of the 'tapenade' on each, rolled them up and secured 'em with toothpicks.

They were seared on each side and finished cooking in a 375 oven. 

Meanwhile, I made a little whole wheat couscous and during the last 2 minutes tossed in the little bit of 'tapenade' I had leftover. 



It was stinky, salty and made me salivate!  YUM!

1 comment:

CPGM said...

Yum. Glad you're finding time to read. I'll look for some Mother's Day pics.
Love ya!